Monday, January 22, 2007

Pleasure with products





Viseral
This is the girls' toilet at Club Momo. The doors are plastered with hunky men, the toilet seats are glittery gold to give you that glamour princess feel. At one glance, you know you like (subjective) this toilet already, despite it being just as functional as any other lousy toilet with no added functions. The cubicles are not even spacious to begin with, but I just like it.


Behavioural

I chose my home's lousy ugly toilet because I feel happiest using it. It's not pretty, it does not have flashy men on the door to welcome me with washboard abs, nor am I proud to show off my toilet to visitors. The seat is even cracked and the flush and door lock a little faulty. However, despite its very minimal functionality, because I have been using it all my life, I am most at home with it and hence to me, what might be any old ugly toilet to others is more cosy and warm to use to me than any designer toilet. Somehow, my total experience with my home toilet (which made me choose it for behavioural design) is not really based so much on the toilet features but my emotions.



Reflective

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/techno/toilet/women.html

I haven't actually come across any toilet that made me feel it had a reflective design, so I am using these Japan toilet pictures. This is how Matsushita expects toilets in future to look. This toilet has medical sensors to "measure the blood sugar, the pulse, blood pressure, and the body fat content of the user. This data may automatically be sent to a doctor through a built-in internet-capable cellular telephone".





http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/techno/toilet/women.html

Even now, as I type, Japanese women are pressing the buttons on the Sound Princess, a device that produces flushing sounds to cover the sounds of their own peeing and stuff. Below are the features that a Toto toilet offers apart from this device.

- washlet to wash diff parts of body with warm water
- heated seat
- automatic flushing
- germ-resistant surface

Other toilet models in Japan (according to Wiki coz I haven't been there)
- glow in the dark
- play music
- arm rests for eldery and elevated seats
- automatic air deodorizing
- automatic lid with proximity sensor to allow opening and closing based on the location of the user

I believe that as reduandant as many functions are, we would be proud to own this toilet despite it being very user- unfriendly (you have to read the maunal). I would think that the owner of such a toilet would feel pretty high- tech and up to date with this gadget in his bathroom. It may not be the prettiest thing, but it sure will wow (and wet) the trousers off your visitors.

No comments: